fredag 26. oktober 2007

What to say?

Yesterday I got a challenge; to have a 5 minutes sharing, or «encouragement» at the morning-assembly at the Tumaini school in the slum today at 07:30. I said yes, and then I came to think of «What do I tell 15 year old girls living in the slum?».

I still don't know what to tell 15 year old girls living in the slums, but I ended up reading Phillippians 4:4, «Rejoice in the Lord always, I will say it again; Rejoice!». Then I asked if they think Norwegians are happier than Kenyans. The answer? «Some».
I told them that I've been to many classes in Norway, but I have never seen as many smiles in one class as here, and that's a fact. What's also a fact, is that Paul was in jail when he wrote his letter to the Phillippians. I then summed up with 1 Peter 1 8-9; the true joy is the joy of Christ.

I wish I had better time to prepare for this, as I said I only had an hour or two in the evening to prepare, and that was knowing that I had to get up at 05:30 the morning after, and being exhausted after a long day. Time, time.

My question to you remains; what would you want to tell them if you had the chance I had today?

2 kommentarer:

Amethyst Rain sa...

Hmm now that is a good question!
i think I would have said something like...a single person can make a difference in the world in big ways. Simple things such as a smile can change a persons entire day, and is infectious ;) Dream big & live big, love with all your heart & follow your gut instincts and you can't be ashamed of anything that you do. Everything is a learning expeierince, so learn all that you can. There is beauty in even the smallest things. Hold fast to your beliefs & always remember that in the grand scheme of life even though you seem like such a small part...the things you say or do can effect people for years to come. All things big & small have a place & time in this life. This is your time, your place embrace it. Walk with your head held high and know that you are worth so much more than you think, YOU ARE THE FUTURE.
or something like that LOL I think you did a wonderful job & the verses you read were great ;)

Sammy sa...

Nice observations and thoughts friend. Keep it up and hope you learn as much as you can. Sometimes I think the beauty of life is in eyes of people, so when they can smile to you, with their eyes lit up with joy, that is what it means to be alive! Good time.