fredag 26. oktober 2007

Kindergarten

Yes, three posts in a row, but it seems I'm on a roll a the moment.

Yesterday Vegard and me visited a kindergarten in Korogocho. As we came there, the kids were sleeping. On the average there were four kids under each blanket, and they were lying on a kind-of thick carpet. A lot of the kids had let the water go while asleep, and none of them had diapers.
The flies were flying around them, and as they woke up, they started playing with what they had; that would be nothing. They were running around, smiling and laughing, greeting these strange mzungu-visitors. I couldn't help but just sit there, overwhelmed. I wish I had a picture, but at this point I don't.

What have they done to deserve to be born to a life like this? What have I done to deserve to live a life like I do? I thought about their future, wondering if they would ever manage to get out of poverty. One of the kids are without any parents. An other one, 2 years old and unable to walk or talk.

We're hoping to be able to visit the kindergarten once per week. And realizing how much it would help to have something as simple as a couple of balls to play with, we'll see what we can find in town tomorrow.

4 kommentarer:

Anonym sa...

Did they sleep in the kindergarten? It wasn't an orphanage?

The time thing: Is having things to fill the time with a privilidge? I've allways tought not needing to work all your time is a privilidge. The really rich people does not need to work. Still, they are some of the busyest people of all! But maybe not the happiest...

Knut

Anonym sa...

Hei. Hape dokke har det fint i kenya.

Her gar det bra.

Janki i uganda

Amethyst Rain sa...

Here's the thing, when you are born into this world no matter where you are, unless you venture out (such as you have) they do not know how things are other places.
I realize that it is sad to see, but to them this is normal for the most part. Seeing you is a special treat and no doubt will be something that they will always carry with them ;) My question is this, Tord do YOU realize the impact you are making on them by just being there? I don't mean this in a bad way, what i mean is that by you being there you are shedding some light on their otherwise dark/closeminded world. Ok let me see here....Ok back in Norway you have lived there your entire life...if you had never left what would your view of Kenya be? You are bringing in other parts of the world to them to see first hand. The reason they are always smileing when they see you is very simple....If I got on a plane and came to see you in Norway (keep in mind Africa is not a hot spot vacation place) would you not be happy or smileing..same thing they are thrilled that someone has come such a long long way just to see THEM ;)

Per Oddvin Stornes sa...

Spennende og en smule ekkel lesning! Det faar en til aa tenke naar en ser slikt...