torsdag 18. oktober 2007

This week our program at TULIP started. So as of Monday we have been to TULIP every day, with the exception of Wednesday, which is our day off. We haven't really gotten started working yet, but we have been introduced to various aspects of what we are going to do. So what are we going to do?

We are going to

  • Do home visits. Me and Vegard did one today, which basically was visiting someone(e.g. the family of one of the girls in the TULIP programs)

  • Work at the clinic

  • Do after school tuition

  • Participate in Bible study groups

  • Teach them various things, in my case it seems I'll be doing some guitar lessons (:DDDD).

  • Do office work

  • Do other things I've forgotten

We are getting more and more used to how things are done around here. The last two days we have for instance traveled to from Focus to TULIP alone, without any major troubles. There is one thing I'm really missing from home though, and at the point I travelled I never thought that was the thing I'd be missing first: the washing machine. But I guess the whole thing of doing laundry by hand is something I better get used to the sooner the better..

As I said earlier, Vegard and me did our first home visit today. It was in Kibera, which is considered to be the second largest slum of Africa. And indeed, it was large! As we stood on a hilltop, there were only iron sheets as far as we could see. The house we visited was a dark, tiny place with a couple of chairs, a table and a bed. There were two guys in there, one older man and one man that the naive(I thing Vegard is still giggling at this) Tord considered to just be an exceptionally talkactive guy who was struggling with putting things in English, but later in the conversation it became more and more evident that he was just plain drunk.

Nevertheless it was a very interesting experience, seeing the inside of a house in the slums. I still have problems imagining how it would be like to have the slum as my «only world». Living there, eating there, «working» there, relaxing there, getting water from there, being sick there. After a day there both me and Vegard were quite exhausted, but wether that's because we're white and thus get a lot of attention we don't really ask for, or that we're not used to the slum environment, or just that the environment itself is very tiering, I don't know. For the sake of those who live there I hope it's us it's something wrong with.

1 kommentar:

Amethyst Rain sa...

Now see when you had mentioned in another post that you would get to teach, I wondered if you took your Guitar with you.
I bet the things that you are seeing, like the large slums, just amaze you. Almost like your brain can't digest it all.